Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Storm Watch

A break from the birds (for a day, anyway).

We had a very strong storm front come through North Carolina yesterday. Since the purpose of the little camera was to take snapshots during lunch, I drove just north of Lake Brandt (which is just down the street from my house) to a pasture which stands at the top of a hill to take pictures of the clouds as the front came through. The wind was terrifically strong and any leaves left on the trees are now really and truly gone. We were even under a tornado warning until 4 am this morning which meant that I got very little sleep as my weather warning radio would go off periodically for warnings for Guilford County where Greensboro is. I'm always worried about a tornado coming in the middle of the night and me not having enough time to go downstairs to the half bath that sits under the stairs next to the concrete block common wall (I live in a townhouse). The most dangerous tornadoes in the Southeast are the ones that come in the middle of the night; those are the ones with the high death tolls.

Pasture at Plainfield Rd






















A Quick Stop at Lake Brandt Marina


It is bright and sunny this morning, but the winds are forecasted to gust to over 30 mph today.

5 comments:

Anyes said...

I love skies like that, if only the tornado watch was not coming with them...Lucky for me here, I often times get awesome skies without any storms coming. I really love sky photographs, and LBJ's and anything else here, Thank you...;-)

flwrjane said...

Wow. I'm humbled.

xo jane

moreidlethoughts said...

I know about sheltering against a supporting central wall, but a bath?
Is it a sort of "helmet" to shield your head?
Our house is open-plan L so I'm not sure where I should go in a cyclone! Oz, via the Yellow Brick Road?

Karen said...

Anyes: I wish we could do without the tornado watches and warnings and just have the storm.

Jane: It really looks more ferocious than what it really turned out to be. The really severe stuff just passed us to the west.

Di: Actually that half bath (toilet and sink only) is the only room in the house that doesn't have a window and so is supposed to be the safest place to go in a tornado which have winds stronger than those of a hurricane.

Crikey (as Steve Irwin would say), aren't you already in Oz?

frayedattheedge said...

What dramatic skies! Fortunately we don't get tornados here.