Saturday, November 20, 2010

Goldfinch

Back home after a very long day trip (I'll post pictures of that this coming week), so I didn't get a chance to post first thing this morning as I normally do.

In fact, I was just going to skip today and post again tomorrow, but I had the most unusual thing happen this evening. As I went out to take the trash to the garbage can, I noticed a female goldfinch at the feeder. Generally the birds fly away as soon as I open the sliding glass door, but this one stayed on the feeder until I got within arm's length and then just flew up to a branch of the redbud. I went back in the house, grabbed the little camera and came back out to see if I could get a picture of her on the tree limb in the fading light. Well, she flew back to the feeder and stayed on the perch while I came up fairly close and took pictures. She didn't fly off until I got too close for comfort. Amazing!

The snapshot is not very good as there really wasn't enough light for the camera and I wasn't about to use the flash. But I like the look of the little goldfinch all fluffed up against the chill of a November evening.


3 comments:

Anyes said...

It looks just like a little fluffy ball of feather, how adorable.Thank you for braving the elements, totally worth it! Have a great Sunday :-)

Karen said...

Anyes: I did stand out there for fifteen minutes in my shirtsleeves just to take these pictures. I'm just so amazed that she tolerated me so close to her for that amount of time!

Carolina said...

She probably was feeling sorry for you. Empathizing about the cold as she wasn't feeling that warm herself. Cute.