Monday, November 15, 2010

Downy Woodpecker

Now I'm beginning to think that I should put up directional signs to the suet cakes for the woodpeckers. Or maybe I was wrong in thinking that apple and walnut suet cakes would appeal to them. It sounded really good to me - well, except for the rendered fat. At least the little house wrens are using it, but they are too fast for me to get good photos.

Another misdirected woodpecker at the feeder. This one is a female downy woodpecker.




For those of you who thought it was going to turn into a blog of cemetery snapshots, it sure looks like it's going to turn into a blog of bird snapshots. It may as the weather turns colder and there aren't much opportunities to get out and take pictures of places around North Carolina and Virginia. We'll see.

3 comments:

Anyes said...

Birds snapshots...Cemetery snapshots, either way I'm in. Your photographs are amazing. Thank you, Karen

Val said...

Beautiful bird pix, looking forward to more.

Karen said...

Anyes: Thank you so much for the compliment. I'm kind of ashamed to post the Savannah sparrow picture today since it is so dark. But it ws the only halfway decent one of the twenty I took of the LBJ.

Val: Expect birdy overload here. I just wish I could get a pelican photo like the ones you took on your Australian trip. Those were terrific!