Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Taraxacum officinale

A week ago Monday, we had a very strong storm come through the area. Strong enough to spawn several tornadoes from Charlotte to the southwestern Virginia area, a distance of more than a hundred miles. I spent part of the afternoon looking out the windows at work and wishing that I had my camera with me to take pictures of the wonderful (and somewhat scary) cloud formations. But my camera is fairly large (it is a super-zoom bridge camera) and doesn’t fit in my purse.

So, I decided to order a small point-and-shoot camera to carry in my purse in order to take pictures during conditions just like the one that happened last week. I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8, a wide-angle lens camera that is smaller than a deck of cards.

So going forward, I’ll post pictures from both cameras. The big camera will go with me on the weekends and I’ll take the little camera on lunchtime expeditions.



First posting from the little camera of a dandelion seed head, also called a “clock”. Takes a nice picture, doesn’t it?

9 comments:

flwrjane said...

Takes a fantastic picture. probably helps that you know how to use all it's functions.

Brace your self Bridget,60 seats.

it's the end of the world as we know it.

xo Jane

rachel said...

It certainly does!

Anyes said...

I'd say it takes very nice pictures indeed. Looking forward to your lunch time photographs :-)

Carolynn said...

There's something so inviting about a dandelion in seed. I love how the texture seems repeated in the rich green background of this shot.

All I have is a little point & shoot camera that fits snugly in my purse. I love its portability, but would really like to have a better camera one day.

moreidlethoughts said...

Snap! I've been wishing, for ages, that I had a little happy-snapper and on Tuesday I bought a Canon Powershot A490.
I'll blog (brag?) about it later, but for now, have a look here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18554857@N03/

frayedattheedge said...

What a fantastic photo. I have a fuji finepix point and shoot which I always have in my handbag (and it's excellent for macro), then last year I got a Panasonic Lumix G1 - as I'm not very technically monded, I haven't entirely got to grips with thr myriad settings, but I'm getting there!

Karen said...

Jane: The little camera is pretty much auto-pilot. You have a zillion scenes to choose from, but you can't do much manually. Still takes a great picture.

Rachel: Thank you!

Anyes: As they say, watch this space. It will be more fun to do this at lunch than sitting there and eating a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich.

Carolynn: But you take such great photos! A friend says it's not the camera, it's the photographer and I think that's true in your case.

Di: Looks like we are on the same wavelength. Wonderful flower pictures and I also love the picture of the Mustang muscle car. I drove the next generation, the Mustang II. It, however, was a piece of garbage.

Anne: A Micro Four Thirds? Will you adopt me? I have great lust for that camera.

Carolina said...

This is proof that size doesn't matter ;-) Great shot.

Karen said...

Carolina: I doubt I'd ever hear any man saying that!! But, it is a very good (so far) little camera.