Friday, November 19, 2010

Using a Cyanotone Plug-In

Another day, another plug-in for PhotoShop. This time the plug-in is for Cyanotone, an effect that looks like an X-ray to me.

A little history about the use of Cyanotone:

Cyanotypes are one of the earliest photo processes. Also known as the blueprint process, it was first introduced by John Herschel (1792-1871) in 1842. He was an astronomer and he developed the process as a means to copy his notes. Cyanotypes became popular because it was a simple process and didn’t require a darkroom and very little equipment. Interesting to note, the process was used to copy architectural drawings, hence the term “blueprint”.

Cyanotypes are made by combining two chemicals, potassium ferricyanide and ferric ammonium. Paper is coated with the mixture and left to dry in the dark. Negatives can be placed on the paper or objects are laid down and exposed to sunlight. Once the paper is exposed, it’s given a water bath. This produces a white image on a blue background.

It didn't turn out blue, but reminds me more of an X-ray. Maybe because I converted a color photo into a cyanotone photo?



4 comments:

Dan said...

Hi Karen

Gosh, I think that looks lovely. It would make a beautiful greetings card or notecard.

Dan
-x-

frayedattheedge said...

What an amazing photo - it looks 3D!!

Anyes said...

Karen I love reading more about actual photography technical side and I really love the look the Cyanotone gave this gorgeous flower.
I am still scared of PS but i'll try to see if they have it on picnik ;-)

Karen said...

Dan: If you would like a larger version of this, just send me an email at k.e.gates(at)gmail.com or feel free to use the one on the blog.

Anne: It certainly does, doesn't it. I love using all these funky plug-ins.

Anyes: Picnik is a fun site. I've even got photos uploaded there as they have plug-ins I can't find for use with PhotoShop.