Monday, November 29, 2010

Dark-eyed Junco

Sometimes I feel as though I don’t have an original thought in my brain. I see something really interesting on someone else’s blog and I have to do the same. Case in point, Jane at Small But Charming redid her blog header. And I liked it so much; I had to change mine, too. Monkey see, monkey do.

The little bird on the redbud tree is a Dark-eyed Junco. They, too, are sparrows like my Song and Savannah sparrows who come to the feeders (the LBJ’s), but these little sparrows only come when the weather turns cold. They breed in the coniferous forests of Canada and the mountains of the Northeast US in the summer. This is also one of the earliest times I’ve had juncos at the feeders. I generally don’t see them until the end of the year or so. Hopefully this isn’t a portent of a difficult winter ahead.

These are some of the most difficult birds to photograph. They are constantly in motion, hopping furiously from one place to another before I can get the camera focused in on them. Unlike the mourning dove that seems to love to pose, I get more snapshots of empty spaces where they used to be than useable pictures to post to the blog. I haven’t gotten the hang of panning with this camera, but maybe by next spring when it is time to put up the feeders, the bird pictures will come easier and clearer.

Channeling his inner DeNiro. "You Looking at ME?"

6 comments:

rachel said...

Another little sweetie-pie!

Anyes said...

I LOVE your new header!
The caption under your photograph is not to bad either ;-)

frayedattheedge said...

Love the new header! Every so often I read the instructions on how to customise my header .... and give up again! We have a constant coming and going of birds on the feeders - especially just now when we have so much snow.

moreidlethoughts said...

I change my header often. In fact, it was one of the attractions of Wordpress (Blogger, in those days, was very awkward)
And I only learned recently what a junco is.I thought it was a term of derision! :-)

flwrjane said...

who you calling a monkey?

love your new header. and love the extralarge photo.

photo shop on the other hand....

xo jane

Karen said...

RAchel: Since I don't have a big wonderful black lab and the cats are pretty useless as blogging material, I'm working with what I do have. Stay tuned. More bird pictures to come.

Anyes: Well, Jane is the one to thank since she did it first. . .

Anne: The amount of snow you all have is just incredible! But hopefully it means more pictures of your blue tit that I am enamored with.

Di: I guess there is no Australian equivalent to the junco there? And Blogger has made designing easier. Marie and Jane just gave me the idea to redo mine a little bit.

Jane: I'm the monkey, not you!