Sunday, November 28, 2010

Mourning Dove

This is one of my favorite birds, the mourning dove. For Dinahmow at More Idle Thoughts, no, I looked, it isn't as big as your Torres Strait Pigeon (that's a big bird!), but it measures about a foot or so long, so it is good-sized.

It is a ground feeder along with the little brown jobs. I've just recently put out a table feeder so that they get a little more than just what is spilled out of the tube feeders. I've seen them try to use the tube feeders, but they are very big and awkward and you really do feel sorry for them as they try to feed.

4 comments:

flwrjane said...

I love them also and enjoy their music.

Proud looking fellow (?) in that picture.

xo jane

frayedattheedge said...

What a fabulous photo! I followed the links in your last post and was fascinated to read about the Barn Quilts projects. At first I assumed that they were actual quilts hanging on the barns, as I have heard of outdoor quilt shows in America. However, whehter they are fabric quilts or painted quilts, it's a super way of recording these wonderful pieces of history. Thanks for the tour!!

Carolina said...

Great shot!

Karen said...

Jane: I love to hear them calling too. My favorite bird call especially during the summer. As to male or female, your guess is a good as mine; both sexes look exactly the same.

Anne: I'm glad you enjoyed the tour of the barn quilts. I'm renting a cabin in the NC mountains next spring for vacation and will take more pictures of the ones in our mountains and across the state line in Tennessee.

Carolina: Glad you like it!