Friday, November 5, 2010

Turkey Tail Mushrooms. Peninsula Trail, Greensboro, NC

Greensboro is really fortunate in that we have more than 80 miles of walking trails throughout the city. Around the three lakes that serve as our reservoirs are 500 feet of wooded buffers and within these buffers are some of the best trails in the area.

I took the little camera and inspired by tales of mushrooming from other blogs, set out to see what I could find along the way. Now, I wasn't hunting to find edible mushrooms as I have a phobia that goes all the way back to childhood and dinners of tuna and cream of mushroom over noodles (a phobia that probably should be probed by a licensed psychiatrist), but to find interesting snapshots of wild mushrooms.

And here's what I found - turkey tail mushrooms:

Mature Turkey Tail Mushrooms

Young Turkey Tail Mushrooms
And while it was a beautiful, sunny and mild Sunday afternoon, I didn't pass another person on my walk. Hey, people, get out there and use these trails!

5 comments:

rachel said...

Astonishing, isn't it, that people don't take advantage of what's on their doorsteps. I've just been through Jesmond Dene (huge woodland park in the city) with the dog, and we met only a handful of people in an hour, on a beautiful, still autumn morning.

Anyes said...

I love those Turkey Tail Mushrooms and how they look like a slice of tree trunk. Mushrooming might be definitely what I'll do this week-end. Have a great Friday, Karen :-)

Carolina said...

One person's phobia is another person's dinner. I quite like the idea of mushrooms, tuna, cream and pasta :-)

Wonderful photos again. I'd love to be able to walk through the local woods and not see anyone else. Thát is my phobia. (I've posted about it before you 'knew' me I think. http://brinkbeestinenglish.blogspot.com/2010/07/you-wont-believe-this.html

it also refers to the post before that, which, if I may say so myself, also makes a good read.) We should swap lives.
Or phobias ;-)

Karen said...

Rachel: People just don't realize the beauty on their doorstep, do they.

Anyes: I think Marie and Vince might have started a trend. I posted on Vince's blog that I would probably do a "monkey do" after reading about their mushroom picking day.

Carolina: Oh, no. I'm not looking for companionship on my walks - actually I'm quite like you on that point (I went to read the post). My concern is that in light of today's budget cutting is that the Park and Recreation Department might decide to stop maintaining these trails because no one uses them.

Carolina said...

Oh, in that case: GET OFF YOUR LAZY ARSES GREENSBORO PEOPLE AND USE THOSE TRAILS!

I hope that helped ;-)