Monday, October 31, 2011

A Drive in the Pee Dee National Wildlife Refuge


A Sunday drive on a gravel road in the Pee Dee National Wildlife Refuge about 90 miles south of Greensboro. Here, nearly ten thousand Canada geese overwinter along with various other waterfowl such as mallards, wood ducks, etc., along with the natives - white tailed deer, black bears, bobcats, foxes, and more.

We didn't see any of them. No geese on Beaver Pond, no white tailed deer alongside this gravel road. I did see a cardinal on a dead tree snag, but that was it. I think you have to be in the refuge really early in the morning, probably close to daybreak or stay a little after the sun goes down (the refuge is open an hour before dawn and closes an hour after sunset for those die hard naturalists).

But the trees are full of color this year, more so than the past couple of years. I was surprised as we have been in drought conditions all through the summer and generally that means less color in the leaves. Perhaps our late summer/early fall rains helped to counter that.

6 comments:

Ron Ruiter said...

Beautiful picture. I get down there to the Pee Dee National Wildlife Refuge every 6-8 weeks and find it so relaxing to be there. So peaceful and beautiful. I also take pictures there and post them on my blog.

Anyes said...

I love walking down those forest trails, the colours and the smells...Your photograph is taking me there. Enjoy your week, Karen :-)

frayedattheedge said...

Lovely colours - I took some similar photos yesterday!

Carolina said...

Hey, Ron Ruiter sounds like a Dutch name. Will have to pop over to his blog and see ;-)

It does look like a beautiful tranquil forest. Don't you just love the warm colours of Autumn? No snow at your place yet then?

Karen said...

Ron: I go about twice a year. Last time was in August where I got a terrific picture of a red spotted purple (butterfly) and also broke a motor mount on the Honda. You and I must be the only ones who go there as in the nearly three years I've been making the trek down, I've never seen anyone else back in the refuge.

Anyes: It is lovely and completely deserted back in those woods. Thank goodness I have GPS on my cell phone.

Anne: Please post them so we can compare North Carolina to Scotland.

Carolina: It would be a sheer freak of nature for us to get snow this early. I think the earliest has been the end of November or the beginning of December. I definitely don't look forward to it. I'll miss all the colors when the leaves finally fall.

Ron Ruiter said...

Karen: Sorry to hear about your motor mount. I was over here about 2 weeks ago and will be posting some of those pictures on my blog. I am planning on going over there today to catch some of the color change.