Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Chilean Flamingo


I'm rummaging through old photos to see what I have interesting to post as recent day trips have come up pretty dry. I mean, do you really want to see a pond full of water hyacinth and trees without any pretty leaves? The only good snapshot out of the entire day at the Pee Dee was that of the gravel road through the forest.

I took this last year at the North Carolina Zoo when I decided to go on a day trip during one of the coldest days of the winter. My thought was cold meant very few sightseers, not realizing cold meant few animals out on display. So over to the aviary which was inside, full of birds, and heated.

Except that the Chilean flamingo above thrives in this type of cold weather and so stays outside year round. They can survive at heights of over 14,000 feet in the wilds of the Bolivia Altiplano region as part of a group of flamingos, Chilean, Andean and James, known as the volcano flamingos.

In fact, I had no idea that flamingos existed anywhere outside of the hot climates of the Caribbean and Africa until I found this interesting article about the volcano flamingos at Cornell University's All About Birds website.

6 comments:

Anyes said...

I love the soft pale pink of their feathers. He looked quite chilly indeed:-)

frayedattheedge said...

What a beautiful bird!

Rose Lefebvre said...

It almost has an apricot color!
Check out my blog photos:
http://poetrose24.blogspot.com/

Karen said...

Anyes: I've always admired flamingos, too, now even more so since I read that article about the volcano flamingos.

Anne: It is gorgeous, isn't it?

Rose: Thank you for the link. I'll go over and take a look.

dinahmow said...

Ah! Mother's favourites!
Karen, you might enjoy this
http://myjustsostory.blogspot.com/2011/11/sunday-selections.html
She posts a lot of bird-and-garden photos from Canberra.

Karen said...

Di: Makes me wish I had enough money to do my own Big Year.