Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Looking Down the Intercoastal Waterway.



Many years ago when my family first started coming to the North Carolina seashore (over 45 years now), the only bridges to the coastal islands over the Intercoastal Waterway where either drawbridges or swing bridges. I could remember many times during our summer excursions back to our cottage where we had to sit in idling traffic while the bridges had opened to allow boat traffic down the ICW. For some beaches like Sunset Beach, the only bridge connecting it to the mainland was not only a swing bridge, but a one-lane bridge meaning traffic had to wait for the other lane to clear.

Some years back, someone in state government finally got a clue that trying to evacuate these hugely populated islands for a hurricane was going to prove to be a nightmare situation with this little bridges and so they started building mammoth concrete bridges over the ICW to replace these now outmoded asphalt and wood ones.

This is the evening view from the bridge from the mainland to Holden Beach over the Intercoastal Waterway. It is not one of my better snapshots as I had to stop at the top of the bridge, roll down the car window and take a quick shot while I held up traffic behind me. But at least they were patient for that minute - no laying on of car horns and no sheriff involved.


5 comments:

dinahmow said...

That is a beautiful picture, Karen.
A year or so ago I saw the movie "Nights in Rodanthe" and just loved the coastal shots. Perhaps not quite your corner, but beautiful anyway.

Anyes said...

Such a snapshot and you say it's not your best one...
Getting lost in the immensity of this vista, dreaming...Thank you Karen :-)

frayedattheedge said...

Fabulous photo - it would have been worth getting arrested for holding up the traffic to take it!!
The weather ia miserable here again - I wish I could be there at the beach with you!!

Ron Ruiter said...

Fantastic view... Great shot.

Karen said...

Di: Rodanthe is on the Outer Banks north of here (I'm only 15 miles north of the South Carolina border). Would you believe it is farther to drive to Rodanthe from Holden Beach (296 miles) than from here back home to Greensboro (221 miles?). All of the beaches here have gorgeous sunrises and sunsets, but then I'm slightly prejudiced.

Anyes: I didn't quite hold the camera straight, so the horizon is kind of tilted. But I'm still slightly pleased with it.

Anne: It has been an ongoing joke at work - Karen gets arrested trying to take a picture from the ICW bridge. I think people are understanding of the need to take a quick snapshot of such a gorgeous view.

Ron: Thank you!