Monday, October 17, 2011

Barn Quilt on Shatley Springs Road, Crumpler, NC


The weather forecasters predicted a bright and sunny Saturday, so TB and I left early that morning to go up to the mountains and take pictures of the colorful leaves and any other interesting buildings and places we could find.

TB saw this barn quilt in her side view mirror as we were heading south on US Highway 221 towards West Jefferson. I would've never seen it unless I looked at the exact right moment in my rear view mirror.  Since I was taking as many barn quilt pictures that I could find on this trip, I made an U-turn and back to Shatley Springs Road to take this picture.

I can't tell you the name of this pattern as this particular quilt is not noted on the Ashe County website which currently only lists 30 barn quilts. However the Ashe County Arts Council states in their latest newsletter that there are now more than 150 barn quilts in this county alone. Wish they and neighboring Alleghany County would get their act together and update their respective websites. It's delightful to come upon them accidentally, but I prefer mapping out my road trip beforehand.

4 comments:

Anyes said...

Your photograph paints such a quaint image of life in the farmlands. I love the colours and the composition. Have a great week, Karen :-)

frayedattheedge said...

Another super barn quilt - I will have to look in my books to identify this particular star pattern.

Ann said...

What a wonderful quilt - love your photographs

Karen said...

Anyes: It is such fun to go to the mountains and search for them.

Anne: Let me know if you ever find the pattern.

Ann: Thank you. Are there barn quilts there in your part of England or is this strictly an American phenomenon?