Sunday, October 23, 2011

Barn Quilts in Sparta, NC

And a look at the barn quilts that decorate some of the buildings in downtown Sparta -


This is called "Four Cubes and a Star" and it is on the side of the Alleghany Arts and Crafts Gallery. Quite psychedelic, isn't it?


And this is "Hawaiian Breadfruit" on the side of an antiques and pottery store. I'm told by Suzi Parron, who has written a book on barn quilts and has photographed many of these North Carolina barn quilts herself, that the owners of this shop had been to Hawaii for vacation and wanted something to remember their trip by. Hence this particuar pattern.

2 comments:

frayedattheedge said...

I went a bit cross-eyed looking at the first one, until I made out the pattern! I love the Hawaiian one - anf that reminds me that I have a large block ready to quilt!

Karen said...

Anne: The Hawaiian one sort of reminds me of your Baltimore Album quilt block.