Monday, June 20, 2011

Great Spangled Fritillary


The best thing about blogging is that I am now noticing things that I used to walk or drive by in the past. The picture above absolutely illustrates this.

TB and I went up to the Blue Ridge Parkway as I wanted a redo on the prior Saturday's trip. That was the one that turned from a four hour trip into a seven hour one complete with hail, thunder and lightening.

I had wanted to take pictures of the mountain laurel which had been at the height of its bloom, but with that storm and several others during the week there were no blossoms to take snapshots of. But along the berm were tons of a tall plant with bright red blooms, so I stopped and went into the field to take photos.

I must have taken about 20 pictures of the blooms and the butterflies in that field. Coming home I fired up the laptop and went to the wildflower database at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center at the University of Texas at Austin to find that the plant was called butterfly milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa ) and the butterfly on it is a Great Spangled Fritillary.

And that is the best thing about this blog. Because I need to find things to blog about it forces me to slow down and look more closely at the places and things I used to just drive right by and I'm also learning more about these wonderful things that nature puts out right under our noses.

6 comments:

Anyes said...

I love how this gorgeous butterfly just seems to be part of the flowers he landed on.
That what blogging will do, Karen making us take time to notice details we use to ignore before.
Have an awesome week :-)

flwrjane said...

A friend who is a photographer by trade was taking pictures at our mutual friend's wedding last week.

She walked outside where a group of women and I were talking and said " fill the space ladies".

The butterfly instinctively knew how to do that!

Great photo.

xo Jane

Dartford Warbler said...

Such a beautiful butterfly and a great photograph.

Blogging really does open our eyes. It can also make us crave a better camera! This morning I was down in the marshland, longing for a macro lens to take photos of the smaller plants there. Your amazing photos are inspiring me to move on from my faithful little "Point and shoot" camera!

Dan said...

Just lovely. The butterfly really blends with the flowers it's perched on. I'm glad that blogging is encouraging a closer look at nature too! It's nice to notice things that can otherwise get lost in day to day life.
Dan
-x-

frayedattheedge said...

What a stunning photo!! I agree with you about being much more aware of what's around me since I started the blog ...... and also taking the time to take good photos.

Karen said...

Anyes: Yes, I love that it has made me slow down and notice the things that are right at my feet.

Jane: And this one knew that I wanted to take snapshots of it and stayed on the milkweed for a very long time.

DW: I just have the next step up from a point and shoot - a bridge super zoom camera. It does just about everything a DSLR does, accepts lens attachments and weighs a tenth and costs probably a quarter of a DSLR. Check it out. It might be what you are looking for.

Dan: And blogging brings me into a great big world inhabited by bloggers like you who let me glimpse into your life over there in the UK.

Anne: Time is what I wish I had more of especially during the week when things look so interesting outside my office window.