Monday, June 6, 2011

Corn and Beans


Finally, back on the road again!

After a spring spent either sick or TB sick or horrendous weather that kept us indoors (for our own safety), we finally got a great day to take our road trip this past Saturday. We decided that we would do one of North Carolina's scenic byways, the New River Valley Byway up in the mountains.

We went north out of North Wilkesboro, turned east on NC 18 towards Laurel Springs and, lo and behold, a barn quilt. This one is at the Upper Mountain Research Station run by the North Carolina Department of Agriculture.

Called Corn and Beans, it was designed by Les Miller and painted by the faculty at Westwood Elementary School.


As I had not anticipated finding barn quilts on the byway, I didn't print out the barn quilt map for Ashe County (there are approximately 40 quilts on various buildings throughout the county). So if we saw any more, it would be quite by accident.

5 comments:

frayedattheedge said...

Oh - I so envy you seeing these barn quilts. Maybe I could persuade Malcolm to put one on the side of my studio (which is an old farm building)!
You mentioned thistles in a recent comment - we don't have a lot in the verges this year, and they aren't yet flowering - bit hopefully I'll get some photos soon!

Carolina said...

Those quilts (I remember other ones you've shown us) certainly brighten up these barns. Great idea.

Anyes said...

You seem to have had quite a nice trip and a beautiful barn quilt to boot. Have a great week Karen :-)

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I'd never heard of them . They're wonderful and I hope you manage to chance upon a couple more soon !

Karen said...

Anne: I still think it would be easy for you and Malcolm to make one of your own.

I'm looking forward to seeing the real Scottish thistle1

Carolina: It also brings tourism to economically depressed areas, so it is a win-win situation for everyone.

Anyes: It was a lovely tri.

S&S: Now if I could convince you all to bring them to the UK and the Netherlands that would be fun to see.