Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Happy Returns


The daylilies are starting to bloom. Well, actually the Stella d'Oros have been blooming for about three weeks now, but everyone and his neighbor (or so it seems in my neighborhood) has that variety growing in their yard.

This is one of the few daylilies that I planted last year that I actually have a name for. It is "Happy Returns" and the only reason I know is that I bought it at a big box store along with the Stellas and it had a label on it. The other daylilies which have buds but no blooms yet, will have to remain unnamed as they were a huge lot of lost label daylily fans - close to 70 of them.

It will be interesting to see how the small garden turns out this summer.

4 comments:

Dartford Warbler said...

Such a rich,cheerful yellow. A beautiful shot.

frayedattheedge said...

What a lovely flower! I hope you get a lovely display from your other plants - I'm looking forward to seeing more photos as they bloom.

Carolina said...

Well, I'm a huge daylillie fan and slightly jealous of your collection. Even if you don't know what they will look like. I'm wondering how you managed to pack about 70 of them into your 'small' garden. Can't be that small. And must be a sunny garden too ;-)

Karen said...

DW: I love the color, too!

Anne: As promised, more to come Saturday.

Carolina: The garden area is about 80 square feet total (I don't know what that is in meters) and I packed the fans in tightly. However, something got a large cirlce of fans (or they died; I don't know which)near the birdbath and will have to be replaced.

The garden outside of the patio is lightly shaded which is good for the daylilies during this intense heat.