Thursday, January 6, 2011

Waiting for the Sun


I keep hoping for the weather to become milder and sunnier so that I feel like going back to the marina and the watershed trails to take pictures, but so far it is not is cooperating. But while I was waiting for the guys to finish up with repairing my outdoor storage room roof, I took some pictures of the leaf litter that I raked over the daylilies per The Grumpy Gardener. All the rest of the leaves have turned brown and have started to break down into compost, but way back in a sheltered corner a couple of colorful leaves remain. 

I'm also reading Michael Freeman's The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos so I thought I'd try to put some of his suggestions into practice.



I’m not getting his theory of using Gestalt psychology for composing pictures, however. But then I don't get the idea using Gestalt for much of anything.

5 comments:

moreidlethoughts said...

Gestalt?

Nice new header up there.

frayedattheedge said...

I'm not going to trouble my brain thinking about that one!! So I'' just say, super photo!!

Anyes said...

"The whole is greater than the sum of its part", gestalt theory...
Could it be that we should always be looking at all the elements to see if they are working well together? Just wondering myself.
Your composition is awesome, and as always with your blog, some neurons are being tickled in my brain, as I write this ;-)

Fish Tail Cottage said...

Thanks to Kristin at "My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia" my first ever link party for Cottage Flora Thursday's is up & running! Inviting you to come over & link a cottage garden post you may have & please advertise "Cottage Flora Thursday's" on your post that you link!! & don't forget to become a follower of my blog !!!

Karen said...

Di: Thanks for noticing the new headers. Yes, Gestalt. I stopped reading and just looked at the pcitures. He lost me big time.

Anne: Many thanks. Looks like a big weather change for us here in the Southeast. If it snows again, I'll just put on the hiking boots and go take pictures.

Anyes: Well, you certainly explained it better in one phrase than Michael Freeman did in 180+ pages of his book. I'll have to re-read it.