Friday, January 21, 2011

Moon Shot

Wednesday brought Greensboro one of the brightest full moons I've seen recently. Of course, I haven't seen the moon (or the sun, for that matter) in a few weeks thanks to one of the coldest and wettest winters that we've had in a long time.

I took the big camera (the FZ35) out on the patio to see if I could get anything decent without a tripod (as an aside, I would need a tripod to shoot with the night setting as it sets a timer for 30 seconds and no one's hands are that steady for a clean shot). Using the aerial setting, I took this halfway decent picture:


Meanwhile, 3278 miles away (give or take a mile or kilometer or two) and five hours earlier in Scotland, Anne at frayed at the edge was doing the very same thing. Coincidence or cosmic alignment ? You decide. . .

7 comments:

rachel said...

And 3278 or so miles away I was gazing out of my attic window at the same moon.... Wasn't it glorious?

moreidlethoughts said...

Boo! I missed it!(But I can do sunshine on snow right now...)

Anyes said...

I tried to take the very same moon up in Vancouver, but miserably failed. You both did awesome, same wave length, I bet ;-)

Carolina said...

There definitely is something spooky going on, because I've seen other shots of the full moon appear on blogs too. Eerie! (;-))
I only thought about taking some photos. Too lazy though.
Yours came out pretty good!

Karen said...

Rachel: It was absolutely stunning that night.

Di: Looks like you are certainly getting your fill of snow up there in Cobble Hill. More snow for us here on Tuesday. Yuck.

Anyes: I held my breath until I thought I was going to pass out to keep the camera from shaking. I really need to go and get a tripod for these kind of snapshots.

Carolina: I think a lot of us bloggers were Moonstruck that night.

frayedattheedge said...

The moon was so bright here, it was casting shadows - but there wasn't enought light to get a photo of them. The detail of the surface of the moon is so clear in your shot - excellent!!

Karen said...

Anne: I took close to thirty shots and only got three that showed the surface in good detail. I really need to get a tripod so I don't have to hold my breath to get a nighttime snapshot.