Monday, January 10, 2011

The Garden Monster

I know, he looks cute. But don't be deceived by that little face and the big fluffy tail. He's demolished the three tube feeder - completely taking off the feeder ports on two of the tubes. So I went out and bought three cheap feeders to take the big feeder's place and replaced the sunflower chips with sunflower chips flavored with jalapeño peppers. Birds can't taste the heat of the peppers, but squirrels can (or so the packaging says) and will stop tearing the feeders apart to get to the sunflower seeds. And I haven't put the red hot sunflower seeds in the table feeder, so the squirrels will still be fed along with the blue jays, but the table is made out of metal and so can't be destroyed.

6 comments:

moreidlethoughts said...

Aww! I know, I know! But I can't help myself.;-)

Are you snowed under?

Dan said...

Awww, so cute, ahem, sorry I mean what a horrible monster!
I hope he realises they're jalapeño flavoured before he destroys another feeder trying to get them out!
Dan
-x-

Dartford Warbler said...

A very sleek and well fed monster!

Grey ( originally American) squirrels visit our feeders and I have also had plastic tube feeders destroyed, so now everything is made of coated wire and is supposed to be squirrel proof. I still put enough on the wooden bird table for birds and squirrels to share.

frayedattheedge said...

We had squirrels in our last garden, but they were so entertaining, we forgave them the chewed up feeders!

Anyes said...

The way they are making garden monsters nowadays...so darn cute ;-)
I hope he stays away from the feeders Good luck, Karen

Karen said...

Di: Not much snow - about two inches. But there is ice on top so I stayed home. Cars (and I) don't deal well with ice.

Dan: I have not seen them eat it in person, but so far they've stuck to the table feeder. So maybe they got a mouthful?

DW: I understand that the gray squirrel has muscled your native red squirrels pretty much out of their territories. Bringing in non-native species certainly creates havoc as here in the States with European starlings.

Anne: You're a more forgiving person than I. I open the door and scream at them when I get really frustrated.

Anyes: So far, so good with the new feeders, but they've only been up for a few days. I need to buy a hanging platform feeder for the bluebirds, however. The ones I have aren't working for them.