Thursday, January 27, 2011

Eastern Chipmunk

I know I have chipmunks in the small garden as I see evidence of their burrows in the midst of the daylilies, which I then tamp down. It may seem mean, but I'm trying to keep them from digging up the daylily fans (the root system, looks like tubers) that I so diligently planted last summer.

But I guess you can't keep a good ground squirrel down (which is what they are - tiny little ground squirrels). This one showed up to take a look at the mass of finches - gold and house - who were at all five feeders and waiting in the trees and then took advantage of gathering up the sunflower seeds that had fallen to the ground. Not quite as destructive as his cousin, the gray squirrel, but I'm tired of the little holes in the ground.

5 comments:

rachel said...

One woman's pest is another woman's delight, I suppose! I haven't seen a chipmunk since I shared an apple with one in India; such lovely little creatures!

Anyes said...

Your backyard is sure the hottest place to meet and greet all kinds of cute creatures. I hope they do not destroy all your plants...

frayedattheedge said...

He is very cute - but I understand why you don't want your plants destroyed!

Carolina said...

AWWWWW but he's soooo cute!!!!!

Karen said...

Rachel: Just a little pest. I'll probably calm down once the daylilies have come up.

Anyes: I think my small garden is the only place for the birds/squirrels/chipmunks to get any type of food. I know my immediate neighbors don't put up feeders.

Anne: Especially after all the money and time I spent last year planting those lilies. . .

Carolina: Cute but dangerous to the plants.