Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Darn You, Microsoft Vista!

Well, darn it. I spent the day trying out tips from a photography book while taking pictures of the birds since I was stuck at home due to our snow and ice. The main tip was to stop taking pictures in JPEG format and change over to RAW files, which (supposedly) makes it easier to edit in Photoshop. So, I changed the settings on the FZ35 to RAW only and took pictures of the masses of goldfinches which were at all three feeders and waiting in the redbud tree for their turn, probably close to forty birds. That was the largest amount of goldfinches I had ever had show up in the small garden.

Then I took the memory card out and stuck it in the laptop and . . . Microsoft Vista didn't recognize the file format. So, more fiddling around on line, downloaded some files and filters and . . . Microsoft Vista didn't recognize the file format - still.

I gave up after several hours of swearing and hair-pulling-out and just reformatted the memory card in the camera, wiping out all those snapshots. And I'll guarantee that I will not get that many goldfinches to the feeders and garden ever again!

So, instead here is a picture of a male goldfinch in winter feathers taken the day after the Christmas snowstorm.

5 comments:

flwrjane said...

I trust you're working today because you're up very early.

Before the birds.

I love the goldfinches, so that's where mine go, to your house!

I think you could have said damn. Because that must have been a glorious sight.

xo jane

Anyes said...

Oh...How frustrating! I still like this Goldfinch photograph though, and who knows you might solve your Microsoft Vista puzzle, later on in the day, hopefully. Good luck!

Dartford Warbler said...

What a pity. I expect the goldfinches will come back if you have the right kind of seed for them.

frayedattheedge said...

Hooray - I can leave a comment today (I had just had a big update done on my online security, perhaps that's why I couldn't do it yesterday?). How very very frustrating to have had all those birds, then lose your photos - poor you!

Karen said...

Jane: Actually, no, I'm not up at 6 a.m. I write the post the night before and set it to automatically post online first thing in the morning. I tried to write and post first thing in the morning and found myself being late to work.

Anyes: But I would have loved to post the huge flock of goldfinches for you guys. They are only coming in ones and twos now.

DW: I think it was the snow and ice that brought that huge amount to the feeders. I guess I'll just have to wait until our next snow.

Anne: Hurray! Isabelle's blog at In This Life is blocked for me at work. They've flagged it as an adult site. Maybe I should let her know; I'm sure she'd get a good laugh over that.