Monday, December 6, 2010

Saturday's Mishap

My Saturday routine is to pick a place to drive to - one that I haven't been to before and one that will hopefully give me some good snapshots for this blog.

This past Saturday was a little different. The Chatham County Artists Guild was having an open studio tour encompassing nearly 50 studios throughout the county. I love handcrafted items, I am a regular purchaser on Etsy and I am very envious of my crafting friends. Plus it was only an hour drive from Greensboro which was important on Saturday as the weather forecasters were predicting snow.

While the first studios we visited were down country roads, getting to these studios themselves were no problem. The artists were welcoming and I wished that I had unlimited funds so that I could buy everything I saw. However, the sky started to turn ominous and when the last two studios were down rutted gravel roads that the Honda Fit kept bottoming out on, I suggested to my Travel Buddy that it was probably time to go to Pittsboro, grab some lunch and head back to Greensboro.

TB wanted to visit one last studio which was on the way to Pittsboro. When I turned off the paved road, we were on another rutted gravel drive. I hit something (rock, rut, who knows) and by the time we got up the hill to the studio, I knew we were in trouble. The transmission had developed a loud growling noise and wouldn't shift past third gear. I immediately turned around and went back to the paved road so that I could get to US Highway 15-501 and better assess the problem.

I only made it a few hundred feet down 15-501 and had to turn into a church parking lot. The car was not going to get us back to Greensboro. Fortunately my brother and sister-in-law lived 10 miles up the highway and could lend us a minivan to drive back home while the Honda was transported on a flat bed tow truck back to the dealer. The drawback was that the car insurance company would only cover the entire amount of the towing charge for ten miles; after that we were responsible for the rest - a cost of $165.

By the time we got back to Greensboro, it was snowing so hard I could barely see down the road. The evening news said that we had at least two inches and the weather would not get out of the 30's for the entire week. Yuck. If I had wanted this type of winter weather, I would have stayed in Ohio.

Oh, and the Honda Fit is TB's, not mine. We drive hers as I have a 17 year-old Mitsubishi Expo minivan with close to 200,000 miles on it. I think we would have been better off (if we had known!) to drive mine with the much higher clearance. Now, poor TB may be on the hook for a couple thousand dollars in transmission repairs. At least she is not without transportation as she can drive my sister-in-law's minivan for the duration.

Sunday Afternoon

5 comments:

Val said...

What a hair raising adventure - and an expensive one for your friend. I would have been a nervous wreck. I hope the art and crafts made up for all the trouble.

flwrjane said...

Well you got a good picture if it's any consolation, but I doubt it.

I can't believe you have snow. Dear god , don't let us have another winter like last year.

Hope this isn't ruinously expensive for your TB.

xo Jane

Anyes said...

Poor TB, :-(
Beautiful photograph!...

Dartford Warbler said...

That is a stunning photograph Karen.

I hope the repair bill won`t be too high. That sounded like a very stressful day out!

Karen said...

Val: The artists and their studios were absolutely wonderful. I am so envious of that type of ability.

Jane: I'd move somewhere else if we have another winter like last years, but I don't want to go to Florida, Arizona or California, so I' m not sure where that leaves me.

Anyes: Poor TB has the patience of a saint to put up with me and my mangling of her car. She gets stars in heaven.

DW: The photo, believe it or not, is down a road just a half mile from my house. It was so cold I shot it through the windshield of the car!