Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Baltimore Oriole

All of a sudden a bird who is supposed to be with the rest of his species in South America for the winter has started to show up at my feeders along with all the other birds who stay here year-round.

I have a Baltimore oriole coming to the feeders daily along with my wrong-way red-bellied woodpecker who still refuses to even look at the suet cakes. This time of year Baltimore orioles have already migrated to the southern part of Central America or the northern coastal areas of South America. They are definitely not year-round birds or boreal migrators who normally come to the small garden.

With more wintry weather predicted for this weekend I am making sure that all the feeders are completely filled and that the water in the two bird baths are not frozen over. Here's hoping my oriole makes it through the winter.

5 comments:

Carolina said...

You are a woman after my own heart, looking after the birdies. The Oriole is beautiful. Wonder why it decided to stay at your place. Not a bad choice ;-)

Susan said...

Wow !!! gorgeous
I also love feeding the birds Orioles are quite rare in winter here in Nova Scotia.

Dartford Warbler said...

What a stunning bird! I hope he survives the winter, but I`m sure he has the best chance if he stays with you,

Anyes said...

Way to go Karen, I hope the little one stays close to your feeder for the whole season, so he can make it through.
Great snapshot, as usual :-)

Karen said...

Carolina: I'm glad to provide for this poor wayward bird, even to the point of going to the bird store to buy a special suet cake for it. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it survives the winter.

Susan: Do you actually have Baltimore orioles overwintering up there in Nova Scotia, too? Those must be the Supermen of the species.

DW: I'm going to do my best here in the small garden to make sure that at least he is properly feed and watered.

Anyes: So far he's shown up at the feeder along with the red-bellied woodpecker. At least the little downy woodpecker has found the suet cakes.