Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Puzzlement

Now here's a puzzle that I hope someone can help me to answer. I photographed this barn quilt on an outbuilding during last Saturday's (infamous) artist studios tour down in Chatham County. Now the problem is that this quilt is way off the public road on private property, so it is not visible as you drive by. Also, Chatham County doesn't have a barn quilt trail, so my guess is that it must have been painted just for the enjoyment of the family who lives on this farm.

Does anyone know what the name of this particular pattern might be? Anne?

6 comments:

frayedattheedge said...

Oh dear - now you have put me on the spot!! I can't answer you right away, as my quilt books are out in the studio ...... but I will look and see if I can find what it is called.

Dan said...

Hi Karen
You've got me intrigued with this post, do you have trails of quilts? What are those exactly?
Dan
-x-
PS. How lovely to have your wonderful heirloom dining table - thanks for sharing.

Suzi Parron said...

Karen, it's a Churndash, except for the little triangles in the corners, isn't it? Maybe just a variation?

@Dan, for into on the quilt trails--check out my blog
americanquilttrail.blogspot.com

Too much to try to explain here!

Isabelle said...

No idea, but it's pretty.

Anyes said...

So cool, Karen! Names for different barn quilt patterns? Is there a possibility they also had a meaning?...just thought I would ask :-)

Karen said...

Anne: I'm sorry. I didn't mean to put you on the spot.

Dan: Check out Suzi's blog. She is the definite source for barn quilts in North America. In fact, I am anxiously waiting for her book to come out in 2011.

Suzi: Thanks for all the help over on Facebook. Now we know that it is called Monkey Wrench. You have some very talented and informed FB friends.

Isabelle: As Suzi and her compadres determined, it is called Monkey Wrench. Check out her Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barn-Quilts-and-the-American-Quilt-Trail/133036866706550

Anyes: Yep. They are named after quilt patterns that been in use for a hundred years or more. Check out western North Carolina's barn quilt trail:

http://www.quilttrailswnc.org/