Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Carolina Chickadee



One more bird in snow snapshot for the week. 


This is a Carolina chickadee, the closest bird that I have here to the family of birds called tits in the UK.  And looking at pictures of the Marsh tit, it looks almost identical to the Carolina chickadee. In fact, tits, chickadees and titmice belong to the same family, Paridae. Type in "Chickadee" into Wikipedia and it automatically takes you to the listing for tit. Not quite a blue tit (which I long for), but the closest that I'll get here in North Carolina.

5 comments:

rachel said...

What a little sweetheart. Tits and finches, such lovely little birds.....

frayedattheedge said...

It looks just like our little blue tits! We are thawing a bit today - oh to see some green grass instead of all this white!!

Dartford Warbler said...

It is very much like our Marsh Tits. We more often get Coal Tits visiting the feeders . They look very similar but have a white stripe at the back of the head.

Anyes said...

Every single time, I look at one of your LBJ photographs, I just feel like touching it, ever so softly, so real...thank you ;-)

Karen said...

Rachel: I, too, am very partial to the little birds who come to the small garden's feeders.

Anne: I think it probably would have been named some sort of a tit, but Audubon, our famous naturalist, named it after the call it makes.

DW: I was very surprised to see how closely the marsh tit and the chickadee looked in appearance. Now I need to go back and see what the coal tit looks like.

Anyes: I love this little bird and its call, which is the only bird call that I truly recognize. They rarely stay still so I was surprised to see this one in one place for about three minutes. And thank you so much for your compliment!