Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunset Sunday


Sunset on Friday down at the Lake Brandt Marina just a mile north of me. These were the first cloud bands from Hurricane Irene. It hit the North Carolina Outer Banks around 7 am Saturday morning which is over 280 miles away from Greensboro. The hurricane cloud coverage was more than 700 miles wide - wide enough to cover all of Europe.

It brought us nothing but some gusty winds and overcast skies. Not even one drop of rain which we desperately needed.

I'm doing these Sunday Sunsets in tandem with Anyes over at Faraway in the Sunshine. Bet she didn't have a hurricane to worry about.

8 comments:

frayedattheedge said...

We just can't imagine the scale! I'm glad that you are safe and well, but I did read online that there have been some deaths.
On a more positive note, another stunning sky - you should have have prints made of your sky photos to sell!!

rachel said...

What a stunning photograph! Scary hurricane though - worrying to watch from afar, let alone live through.

Don't want to sound pedantic (although I know I do) but Europe is over two and a half thousand miles wide, I think, not 700!

dschirtzfl said...

Can't believe you got no rain! Been thinking of you and your Mom all week.

Ann said...

A beautiful photograph capturing the clouds amongst the sun.
Thanks for sharing

Anyes said...

I am glad you were safe. You are right, here in Vancouver, B C no worries of hurricane ;-)

Carolina said...

Again a stunning photo of a stunning sky. I'm glad you're safe. I was worried about you and a couple of other blogfriends, knowing that Irene was/is on her way.

Dartford Warbler said...

I was worried about you too, so it`s good to be reminded of just how big North Carolina is and that you were just on the edge of Irene`s weather system.

That is another stunning sunset.

ladyfi said...

Just magical!