Friday, August 5, 2011

How Baby Figs are Made


As the second crop on the Brown Turkey fig ripens, it dawned on me that this tree produces fruits without any noticeable flowering like other plants, like peaches, apples, melons, etc.

I did a little searching and found out that figs are very different from other fruits in that, first, it is pollinated by a fig wasp which crawls in through this tiny opening in the base of the fruit and, secondly, the interior of the fig is actually where the flowers are, each bearing a single seed. If you cut the fig open, the flowers appear as fleshy threads. I downloaded a picture of this from Wikipedia as my figs aren't quite ripe enough to pick.




So now you've added some new trivia to use if you ever get on a game show and I will keep a lookout for those tiny little fig wasps.

3 comments:

Anyes said...

New trivia is always good to have for those game show appearances ;-)

frayedattheedge said...

It's amazing what you learn from reading blogs!! I always like the look of figs - but I just don't like the taste!!

Karen said...

Anyes: I'm always learning new and sometimes weird information while doing this blog. I'm also waiting on Alex Trebeck to call me!

Anne: After learning how figs are pollinated, I think I'm going to stick to Fig Newtons. . .