Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hairy Woodpecker


This is what a snapshot looks like when you pretend that your bridge super-zoom camera is really a DSLR with a huge zoom lens attachment. Not so hot.

I was wrong about the tree. I now think it is a willow oak. Anyway, here's what it looks like while standing in the parking lot across the street. Way up, at the very tippy top of the tree, is where I saw the Hairy Woodpecker and got the above photo. Underneath is several nesting holes. I didn't see any fledglings, but I really wasn't looking.


Price Park is a terrific place to wander around (when it isn't so hot!) to see all sorts of birds, wildflowers, butterflies and it has terrific walking paths mown in the huge meadow.

If you click on the Location, you'll see the parking lot I was standing in and the trees right across the road. If you move the map around a little bit, you'll also see the mown path in the meadow.

4 comments:

Dartford Warbler said...

Well, at least you saw the woodpecker! My little Point and Shoot camera would have just seen a speck LOL.

Your park looks lovely and green, despite your high temperatures. What good idea to mow pathways through a wildlife meadow.

Anyes said...

Nice snapshot, Karen. I am still trying to have any bird that does not look like a blurry speck on my photographs ;-)

frayedattheedge said...

I keep hoping for a woodpecker, but I haven't even heard them in the woods recently, never mind seeing one!

Karen said...

Anyes: It has been unbearably hot, but we have had some really gullywasher thunderstorms. But, a lot of lawns here in the neighborhood are showing signs of being really stressed.

Anyes: Sport mode works extremely well with my camera along with holding my breath until I nearly pass out.

Anne: But you have blue tits and those wonderful goldfinches!