Tuesday, April 19, 2011

White Spring

Spirea


Azalea

Star-of-Bethlehem

My spring garden is distinguished by the fact that all I have at the moment are white flowers - white azaleas, white spirea, white viburnum, and a flower that I've identified as a Star-of-Bethlehem.

The bushes (azalea, spirea and viburnum) were here when I bought the townhouse. The Star-of-Bethlehem just showed up this spring. Wikipedia says that it is native to southern and central Europe, northern Africa and southern Asia. If it is in my garden, they say, then it is an escapee from a cultivated garden.

Whose garden, I wonder? I've lived here for more than nine years and this is the first year it has shown up in the small garden. And the garden itself is surrounded by a six-foot high privacy fence, so it just didn't wander over from next door. Did it sneak in a package of those day lilies I ordered last year from a garden nursery in Indiana?

If anyone has any ideas, I'm certainly open to your suggestions. I may move it as right now it is hiding behind the storage room and not visible from the patio.

3 comments:

Anyes said...

I wish I would be a better help, but I know nothing of gardens, I do have to say though I love your white Spring ;-)

frayedattheedge said...

Your white plants are beautiful! Can't help with the Star-of-Bethlehem - I don't recognise it at all!

Karen said...

Anyes: I do like the white flowers, too, but am looking forward to when the daylilies bloom and I get a lot of different colors.

Anne: I like the little flower, but doing more research the US Department of Agriculture considers it an invasive plant. It is so toxic that it will kill any animal that eats it. I'm not worried about that as my cats stay indoors and the privacy fence keeps out all the other neighborhood critters, but I guess I will have to dig it up and get rid of it before it spreads further.