Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sunset Sunday




Once again, it's Sunset Sunday!


This time I drove up the road about a mile from my house to the old Lunsford Richardson farm, which is just north of Lake Brandt, one of our city reservoirs. Part of the farm has been sold to the Piedmont Land Conservancy and will become part of the Mountain to Sea Trail system. This part, however, is still a working farm although the northern edge is being nibbled away by housing subdivisions.

Lunsford Richardson, who owned the farm (it is now held by a family trust), was a member of the family who developed Vicks VapoRub. An interesting fact about Vicks is that was refined in the drugstore here in Greensboro which was owned by William Porter, the uncle of Sidney Porter who became the writer O. Henry.

You can find Sunset Sundays over at Finding Another View. I'm doing this with Anyes at Far away in the Sunshine as an ongoing project.

6 comments:

frayedattheedge said...

Another stunning sunset - and interesting stuff about Vicks!

Scrappy Grams said...

spectacular! How talented Richardson and his family were. Always love learning another tidbit!

Anyes said...

You are a treasure of information, Karen and your Sunset is truly spectacular. Enjoy your Sunday :-)

dinahmow said...

Amazing the things one learns on your outings! O. Henry and Vicks...
And a sunset!

jhs said...

Very nice.

Karen said...

Anne: I could probably do several long posts about the Richardson family and Vicks VapoRub. Interesting family history there.

SG: I think we all grew up with Vicks VapoRub so it is interesting that it was perfected here in Greensboro.

Anyes: Thank you and I'm looking forward to next Sunday. I think I already have a good skyscape for you.

Di: And I can do a little tour of the places that O.Henry worked and lived at here in Greensboro if anyone is interested.

Jeff: Thanks. It's nice to have a local blogger visit (although I doubt I'm half as interesting as Ed Cone).