Wednesday, April 27, 2011

There's a Storm A'Coming


I drove up to Plainfield Road after work to take pictures of the storm clouds coming in from that huge storm that has hit the Midwest with ferocity the past couple of days.

This is looking over a field of buttercups on the eastern edge of the Lunsford Richardson farm towards the southeast. As a side note, I haven't seen any huge masses of evening primroses in this area since our day trip to Hillsborough a few weeks back. Perhaps they only grow in masses south of Greensboro.

I got back in my car just in time to be struck by a downpour before I could even get back on the road. It rained so hard that even though my air vents were closed, rain still came in.

Perhaps it is a prediction of what may happen in the next couple of days. The weather forecasters said by the time this massive storm finally heads off into the Atlantic this weekend, it will have affected more than 30 states and 150 million people. They have not forecasted tornados for North Carolina, just very strong winds and thunderstorms.

My only concern is that North Carolina leads the nation in the number of deaths from nighttime tornados. We will be under the strongest part of the storm tonight and I will be sleeping with the weather radio on.

5 comments:

Anyes said...

Thinking of you, Karen hoping you will be safe

frayedattheedge said...

I'm amazed at the number of storms that you have! I hope you aren't too badly affected!!

Carolina said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you all that the storm will pass without any damage. Impressive clouds.

dinahmow said...

Seems you're kicking off your storm season much as Australia did 6 months ago. Good luck and take care.

Karen said...

Anyes: Safe and sound. But those poor, poor people in the deep South.

Anne: And this is just the beginning as May is actually the height of tornado season.

Carolina: We were most fortunate here in Greensboro. Just rain for the garden.

Di: Ah, yes. The floods and fires over there. Let's hope our spring isn't quite so severe.