Monday, April 4, 2011

Sundrops


Off an another day trip on Sunday through the back roads of North Carolina.

And during our drive, TB and I kept commenting about all the yellow flowers that had bloomed (seemingly overnight) all over the place. You would see them in farm fields that were laying fallow, in ditches, along busy roads, just about everywhere you looked.

We discussed what we thought they were (yarrow is what I thought. TB had no idea).

I finally pulled over to the side of the road, jumped out of the car and walked into an open field to take pictures. I was bound and determined to find out and having a good snapshot was the only way to solve the mystery.

I came home and using the database at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center (one of the best online databases I've ever used), found out I wasn't even in the ballpark.

It is Narrowleaf Evening Primrose, also known here in the South as Sundrops. It certainly lives up to that sobriquet - it looks like the fields have been rained on by the sun.

3 comments:

Anyes said...

Sundrops is the perfect name indeed for those cute little beauties. Did you take a larger shot of the field they were in?

frayedattheedge said...

I love the name sundrops - it just describes the flowers perfectly!

Karen said...

Anyes: I didn't think to take a picture of the field and they don't seem to be blooming around here. That was taken 50 miles south of Greensboro.

Anne: I think it is a nicer name than narrowleaf evening primrose, too!