Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Thalictrum thalictroides

Although we got to see the world's largest open pit granite quarry on Saturday's day trip (and I got an education on granite), that was pretty much the extent of snapshots. The day was overcast and cold and because I thought we were going to the Reynolda House Museum, I had left the big camera home and was only toting the FP8.

We did comment on the profusion of rhododendron (aka mountain laurel) bushes along NC 103 going towards Virginia, but they don't bloom until June. And Madison, once a bustling textile town, has a wonderful clock tower that was built in 1919, but the light was sucky.

We also drove by a plantation near the Dan River that was built in 1828 and semi-hidden from the road that would lend itself at another time to snapshots. I researched and found out the owner of the house and will write a letter to see if I can come back onto his property. If not, I'll have to be content with roadside pictures.

So, pictures for the future, but what about today?

Well, Friday while on the walking trail behind our office building I found this little flower:




This is Thalictrum thalictroides or Rue Anemone, a member of the buttercup family. There were also many May Apples on the forest floor, but, of course, they don't bloom until May.

Now that there are all these tiny little blooms on the walking trail, I am chomping at the bit for the weather to clear up so that I can go back and find more to photograph.

5 comments:

Anyes said...

I find myself in the same situation, but luckily the dark gray clouds let me go out a little every day, enough to take some nice shots.
Good luck Karen, nice close up :-)

Dan said...

They are beautiful! I've not come across them before.
Dan
-x-

frayedattheedge said...

I've not seen these before - I have no idea if we have them over here.

Dartford Warbler said...

What a pretty, delicate flower. It reminds me of the wood anemones found in English woodland.

Karen said...

Anyes: And later on this spring I'll start complaining because it's *not* raining. The garden loves this weather, so all is good.

Dan: The rue anemone it is only native to Eastern North America, but is related to your woodland anemone.

Anne: No, it's native to the US and Canada. I'm just glad a walker didn't trample it before I got to take a picture.

DW: A sharp eye, indeed. Looking at Wikipedia they are so close in appearance to be almost indistinguishable.