Thursday, March 10, 2011

Blenko Bottle


And a picture of a bottle for the photography class.

I used to collect Blenko glass until it became discovered by the shelter magazines as the thing to collect for those who were into mid-century houses, furniture and accessories. Then everyone went over to eBay and started bidding Blenko into nose-bleed territory. Plus my collection had started to take over every flat surface in the house and it was starting to look more like a Betsey Johnson interior (although pink is not my thing).

Most of the glass has been put up with the exception of some of the better and larger pieces. This bottle (or decanter) was blown in the early 1960's and stands about two and a half feet tall. I was really fortunate to find it in an antique store here in Greensboro where the word hadn't filtered down that it needed to be priced higher than the $45 I paid for it (it should have been priced around $400 or ten times as much). It now sits with four other large Blenko pieces in front of my sliding glass door.

6 comments:

Carolina said...

Oh you lucky thing :-) Collecting the glass before it went up in value. It is beautiful. Those interiors are a tad on the hysterical side. Love the lap pool though. Could definitely cope with a pool like that.
Do you like the photography class?

moreidlethoughts said...

Ooh! Pretty!
I'd like to say I'm a collector. But I think honesty makes me say "hoarder!"

Hope your snuffle's gone?

frayedattheedge said...

What an amazing bottle - especially when I read on and saw how tall it is!! Hope you are keeping better. Malcolm is still on the case of Rachel's dishwasher!

flwrjane said...

Well done with your early collecting. Now we have a nest egg, yes?

Beautiful picture, you totally got the fabulous blue.

xo Jane

Karen said...

Carolina: I am kind of meh about the photography class. I'm not sure I'm learning anything that I hadn't already read in books or on the Internet, but I'll give it a chance. Betsey Johnson is over the top, isn't she?

Di: I look at all the glass in my house and would say "hoarder", but the house is clean enough that no one is going to stage an intervention like on TV.

Just a teeny tiny cough left.

Anne: I love the colors that Blenko produces - vibrant primary colors. They started as a church glass manufacturer and then transformed into art glass.

Keep us posted about the dishwasher travails.

Jane: Hmm, nest egg with West Virginia art glass? Doubtful. Remember Beanie Babies in the 90's?

Scrappy Grams said...

I have a collection of Jewel Tea dishes that I started because it brought back warm memories of my mom. Friends and family gifted me with many pieces before the same thing happened with your Blenko glass. I love your phrase "nose-bleed territory."! I don't have any Blenko glass, but whenever I see small bottles in cobalt blue, I bring them home with me. Thank goodness for my wallet, I don't see many.