Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mills Long Gone

If you take a look at a map of Guilford County (where Greensboro lies), you'll see a lot of roads with Mill as part of their names. Just off the top of my head, there is Freeman Mill Road, McKnight Mill Road, Branson Mill Road, Price Mill Road, Davis Mill and so forth and so on. These all got their names way back when there were grist mills near every small farming community.

All these grist mills are gone, but the names still remain on downtown roads and obscure county roads. On our day trip which took us down to the NC Zoo, we took a detour over to Kidds Mill Road near Franklinville about thirty miles south of Greensboro. Here, too, at one time was a local grist mill, but the building  itself is long gone. However, still standing is the original stone dam that created the pond for the departed mill race:


And a close up of the hand-placed stones:



And a half buried millstone, the only item still remaining from when it was the center of this small farming community:

4 comments:

Anyes said...

I love those photographs and the history that you took the time to uncover for us. I am so glad you are back and feeling better, Karen :-)

Scrappy Grams said...

Love knowing the story behind the photo. Thanks for sharing both.
I don't know why you were gone, but I'm glad you're back and sharing photos.

frayedattheedge said...

Lovely photos. We have loys of old mills here, but they were woollen mills.

Karen said...

Anyes: History and photography are my two most favorite things and I like sharing them with all of you1

SG: I was (and still am, a little bit) sick with the crud. I feel bad, but not as bad as last week.

Anne: And we have a lot of abandoned textile mills, but that is a blog post for later.