Friday, March 25, 2011

The Small Garden

Up to now I've only shown bits and pieces of my small garden and patio - mostly bird feeders, daylily shoots and the random odds and ends.

Starting this spring, I'll post maybe once a week (I haven't decided) on the progress of the garden and the containers on the patio.

Last year I decided that I needed to do a little more in the way of gardening than just spreading mulch around the redbud and the crepe myrtle. There were no plants in the garden and the patio had just pots on annuals that I had picked up at WalMart or the big box home improvement stores which would then be thrown out at the end of the season.

I started ordering lost tagged daylily fans (those are the roots) from a nursery in Indiana, mostly because they were extremely cheap (some of the more exotic hybrids can go for hundreds of dollars per fan). I planted probably close to sixty fans throughout the summer of which some bloomed and some didn't.

This spring the daylilies have started to emerge but, as I posted earlier, I have a circular area just to the east of the bird bath where nothing has come up. I know I planted a few fans there, so obviously they've either died on me or something has eaten them. I will plant a few new fans there this weekend; nothing spectacular, just ones I picked up at Lowes.

My other plan is to sow perennial flower seeds between the daylilies. I saw this in a garden blog as a way to have flowers all summer long and to hide the faded daylily leaves.

Here is the small garden as it looked Thursday morning.


So, let the games begin!

4 comments:

frayedattheedge said...

What a good idea to record the progress of the garden - I should do the same!

Anyes said...

What an awesome idea, Karen. It looks like you know exactly what to do. It should be fun for you to compare results later on :-)

flwrjane said...

Will follow with great interest.

xo j.

Karen said...

Anne: And you have that wonderful day laborer, Malcolm, to help out. I'm slightly jealous.

Anyes: I hope it works out. Sometimes my goals are bigger than what I actually accomplish.

Jane: And please, please send me your helpful hints!