Friday, May 20, 2011

Black and White Starling


One thing these overcast skies will do is drain all the color out of your color photographs so you have a black and white snapshot without even converting it in PhotoShop.

This an European Starling on a power line, a better snapshot to post than the one I took yesterday of the Turkey Vulture that sat on a light pole at the entrance of my townhouse cul de sac. Now that was an unusual sight as vultures generally don't venture into our urban area, but perhaps there was a dead deer nearby that enticed him over to my home (yuck). Plus, I think I've done the vultures to death - so to speak.

Anyway, if the sun was out you would see that his feathers are now a glossy brown with  green and purplish iridescence. The white spots that he had back in January have long since worn off.

3 comments:

Anyes said...

I can read how frustrated you are with the weather Karen, hang in there sun will be back soon ;-)

frayedattheedge said...

What a striking photo! We are still feeling the cold after our two weeks in the sun .....

Karen said...

Anyes: Finally a break today (Saturday), so camera out and about for posts for next week. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Anne: As much as I am not a fan of starlings, I like the way the feathers spike when they are singing; quite unlike other birds.