Thursday, May 26, 2011

Rose Thistle


When our newest branch library, Kathleen Clay Edwards Library, was built back in 2004, it was designed with the local environment and ecology in mind. It is set on 90+ acres with wallking trails, a reading garden and in front, two and a half acres are set aside as a natural meadow to attract birds and butterflies.

I went over after supper yesterday to see what had started blooming and bird watch. I could hear the towhees, cardinals and red-winged blackbirds and took some not-so-good pictures of Eastern bluebirds and a cowbird (too much haze in the air to get a good snapshot).

The spring flowers are gone by, the summer flowers are full of buds but no blooms yet, and then there is the rose thistle showing pink by the path. Some think of it as a noxious weed, ready to prick you if you come too close. I think it is just trying to defend itself from greedy hands that want to pick it for its color.

4 comments:

flwrjane said...

You could be right:)

Beautiful picture.

xo jane

Anyes said...

I think you're on to something, Karen. Such a different colour it simply has to defend itself ;-)

frayedattheedge said...

Of course I love the thistle! I know it is a problem for farmers, but of course it is Scotland's national flower.

Karen said...

Jane: Thank you and I'm looking forward to the other wildflowers blooming (if I don't die from this heat wave first).

Anyes: I wonder if there is a good fable as to why the thistle is so prickly.

Anne: Well, not quite a Scotch thistle, but the rose is native to California and not North Carolina. I wonder who planted it in the meadow?