Wednesday, January 25, 2012

White-Breasted Nuthatch


While other blogs are showing woodpeckers (both here in the States and overseas) in birch trees, I had a white-breasted nuthatch in the river birch in front of my house.

I went out to put something in my car which is parked in front of my townhouse when I heard the call of a nuthatch in the birch tree. I stood under the tree and saw two nuthatches searching for bugs in the exfoliating bark of the tree. I decided to go in the house and get my camera and see if I could get a half decent shot before they flew off.

Much to my surprise, they continued to forage in the tree ignoring me as I circled around the base of the tree taking as many shots of them as I could. Generally any bird in the birch will fly off as soon as they spot me, so this was a real treat.

4 comments:

Anne said...

What a fabulous photo! The detail of the nuthatch is amazing, and the texture of the bark is wonderful!!

dinahmow said...

Yes, lovely detail and such a lucky one. Me? Still trying to catch my sunbirds. sigh...

Dartford Warbler said...

What a little beauty! Our nuthatches have soft, apricot coloured breast feathers and look as though they have painted black eye liner on around their eyes. It`s a real treat when they visit the bird table.

Anyes said...

I am in awe Karen, the details you captured are simply amazing :-)