Monday, January 2, 2012

Barn Quilt Trail in Ashe County, North Carolina

And back to the mountains of North Carolina and more barn quilts this past Saturday. This time we went to Ashe County to do a quilt trail as there are now more than 150 barn quilts in this county alone. The Ashe County Arts Council has now uploaded six quilt trails with directions to their website which makes it very easy to tour the back roads in the mountains. You can check out the tours here: http://www.ashecountyarts.org/BarnQuilt.htm


The first on our tour was this quilt, Maggie's Wildflower.




And on down the road, this huge quilt called Robbing Peter to Pay Paul. As you an see it is made out of four 4' panels in order to make this large 8' x 8' quilt. Looking at the buckling concrete blocks above the door, however, I wonder how long this barn will remain upright.

5 comments:

Anyes said...

Those splashes of bright colours on the old barns make for such interesting snapshots.
Happy New Year Karen! I am so glad you're back :-)

Val said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of these beautiful quilts. Love the name of the second one and I hope that something can be done to preserve this unusual work of art.

frayedattheedge said...

Happy New Year!!
I love these barn quilts ..... and the old barns. I do hope the second barn survives, it is such a wonderful shape!

Chantal said...

I love a good quilted pier of work

Karen said...

Anyes: Thank you. I'm glad to finally have a modem that works!

Val: It is a pattern I had never heard of before. We'll see what happens to the barn.

Anne: I love the quilts too. It makes for such a wonderful drive as it takes us on back roads that we would have never driven on otherwise.

Chantal: I am amazed at the time, effort and money that people put into these pieces in order to bring tourists to this part of the NC mountains.