Friday, January 6, 2012

Carolina Compass and Tree Variation Quilts, Ashe County, North Carolina

And then down a road that once was a railroad bed when the train used to run from Todd, North Carolina up to Abingdon, Virginia, then off on a side road to see this homemade barn quilt on a house. This is called Carolina Compass, a very detailed compass rose.



Back through Fleetwood, North Carolina to US Highway 221 to the very last barn quilt on the Yellow Loop. This is on a huge Christmas tree farm that stretches from the road to up the sides of the mountains that surround it. The name of this quilt is Tree Variation and this barn has been in magazines and books.


This weekend? I'm still thinking about where to go as I'll have to do it on my own with a wingman (TB) to read the map. It means I'll probably have to stay on the main roads and out of the back roads up in the mountains.

5 comments:

Anyes said...

A bit of adventure on your own is bound to be exciting, don't you think?
Is TB OK?

frayedattheedge said...

I hope our weather is better at the weekend, so we can get out a bit further afield - I feel I have been taking photos of the same things for weeks now!
As always, the barn quilts are super - and I love the colour of the second barn.

Dartford Warbler said...

Those two quilt designs are beautiful. I particularly like the Carolina Compass.

Chantal said...

I have a dear friend who is really good at quilting but mor for indoor use.

Carolina said...

The colours of the Carolina Compass are beautiful and the tree quilt is very appropriate for a Christmas tree farm ;-)