Monday, February 21, 2011

Wild Violets

I am quite envious of my English and Scottish blogger friends who are enjoying great swaths of snowdrops, a plant I've seen in catalogs but never seen in local plantings. Great swaths of daffodils, yes, but never snowdrops.

So I go out with an eagle eye towards anything blooming in this warmish end of winter. Up until this afternoon, I've seen green shoots poking up through the ground (i.e., the daylilies in my small garden), but no flowers.

Until this afternoon during a day's delayed day trip with TB (I had a hair appointment yesterday; got to keep those roots under control). Tons and tons of wild violets at a couple of locations that we stopped at to get some snapshots of old barns and old dams.


Not swaths of snowdrops, but the best I could do here in North Carolina.  Unfortunately most people view wild violets as a noxious weed to be eradicated out of lawns. I see it as an early harbinger of spring. I will start looking closer to see what other wildflowers are lurking underfoot.

6 comments:

flwrjane said...

I love the wild violets. I have snowdrops, but violets will always hold a soft spot in my heart.

xo Jane

Scrappy Grams said...

On the school's campus (Catholic school) where I taught, we had wild violets to bring us cheer in the spring.

Carolina said...

Sweet ;-)

Anyes said...

So those rumours are true, spring IS on the way ;-)

frayedattheedge said...

If only we could swap. The violets are lovely!

Karen said...

Jane: Do you know it took me 45 minutes of searching on the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center database to figure out they were wild violets? I thought "Little blue flowers, how pretty."

SG: I went to school in Ohio, but I don't remember wild violets. Buttercups, but not wild violets.

Carolina: Thank you!

Anyes: Well, so I thought until tonight. Freezing rain after midnight. Sigh.

Anne: That would be a nice swap. And no quarantine involved like with pets.