Thursday, February 17, 2011

European Starling

They're baaaack . . .


And as you can see, the white tips on his feathers are starting to wear away. By late spring, they will be an iridescent brown.

I'll start taking the feeders down the beginning of March in order to clean up the small garden. I'll have to replant some daylilies which were dug up by the chipmunks (which is why I keep tamping down their holes). The juncos are coming less frequently as they get ready to migrate back to the northern forests of Canada. The yellow-rumped warblers have decamped for the holly tree across the parking lot, but they too will leave in March for Canada. I still get all the other little birds, but I need to wean them so they aren't dependent on me during breeding season. I will set up hummingbird feeders; let's see if I can get any decent snapshots this summer.



5 comments:

Susan said...

Beautiful shot ! I love the poor homely starlings and always make sure they get lots to eat xo S & les Gang

Scrappy Grams said...

I don't share love for the starlings. They're greedy. However, super shot!

Anyes said...

Hummingbirds snapshots? Hmm, just thinking of it I feel Summer coming already ;-)

frayedattheedge said...

Oh I do hope you get hummingbirds to share with us - we don't have them over here.

Karen said...

Susan: Looks like both you and Rachel over at Slow Lane Life are enamored with the starlings. Me, not so much, especially when they start squabbling over the feeders.

SG: Me neither, but at this point with the suet feeder and these feeders it's hard to get rid of them.

Anyes: Soon, they keep promising. And green shoots in the small garden.

Anne: I had hummingbirds last year, but no feeder. They would come and inspect the roses and then fly away. I bet I can get a couple good snapshots in.