Sunday, September 5, 2010

Greensboro, NC. September 2010








From Wikipedia.org:
Nasturtium (literally "nose-twister" or "nose-tweaker"), as a common name, refers to a genus of roughly 80 species of annual and perennial herbaceous flowering plants in the genus Tropaeolum.
They have showy, often intensely bright flowers (the intense color can make macrophotography quite difficult), and rounded, peltate (shield-shaped) leaves with the petiole in the center. The flowers have five petals (sometimes more), a three-carpelled ovary, and a funnel-shaped nectar tube in the back.
 I found it interesting that the article says that photographing it using a macro lens is difficult. Maybe this turned out OK as the color is orange and not the bright red of my other nasturtiums. 

This photograph is for Carolina in the Netherlands, a new blogger friend, who posted a wonderful picture of a yellow rose which you can find here - Brinkbeestphotos. She also has another blog where she writes about her life and about a country that I visited for a week and fell in love with: Brinkbeest in English. I thought I had a yellow rose photo to compliment hers, but the best I could do was the orange nasturtium.

And as for the photos from the Blue Ridge Parkway? Well, now I understand why professional photographers go on and on about light. The light was hard and harsh and so all 164 photos ended up in the recycle bin.



4 comments:

frayedattheedge said...

We are our own harshest critics - I'm sure others would have enjoyed your photos! I love this photo of the nasturtium - I enjoy using macro (my little finepix is much better for macro that my very expensive lumix!!)

flwrjane said...

I ooohed out loud when i saw this photo. Good on eliciting a response you are. Jane.

Carolina said...

Ah, you're the BEST! This is a gorgeous colour. Quite a spectacular shot.
And you can eat the flowers, did you know that? Tossed through a salad. Quite a peppery taste. (Note to self: have to grow Nasturtiums next year.)

Thanks for mentioning me. Don't you just love Blogland?

Hugs,
Carolina

Karen said...

Anne: Trust me, they were terrible and I wasn't trying to judge myself too harshly with this new camera. I'll try again this fall when the leaves have changed.

Jane: Love the macro setting on this camera. Much better than the point-and-shoot.

Carolina: I guess that's why the Latin name means nose-twister. Haven't put them in a salad, though. Just admiring them out on the patio.