Saturday, September 11, 2010

Blue Ridge Parkway. 1935-2010

Today is the 75th anniversary of the beginning of construction of the Blue Ridge Parkway, the longest national park in the US, over 400 miles. On September 11, 1935, construction of the first 12.5-mile section began near Cumberland Knob in North Carolina. 

I am lucky enough that the BRP is only an hour and a half drive from my house, so I take every opportunity I can, especially in the fall, to drive up there.

I found pictures in the Library of Congress’ American Memories website of how Mabry Mill, the most photographed site on the Parkway and a place that I stop at every time I go, looked at the start of construction in 1935.




Photos from the Library of Congress: http://memory.loc.gov


This last photo shows the BRP being graded in preparation for paving. All these photos were taken by photographers from the Works Progress Administration, WPA.


One of the best articles that I've read about the Mabrys of Mabry Mill can be read here: http://www.blueridgecountry.com/archive/mabrys-of-mabry-mill.html


And this is what Mabry Mill looks like today:



5 comments:

rachel said...

Lovely - restored but unspoilt!

Carolina said...

Gorgeous 'snapshot'. Love the reflection. Did you do something with the colours?
Wondering if it would be even better if you could see the whole reflection of the building. Just because I took a similar shot last week, a building with reflection in the water, and also had the top of the roof 'chopped off' in the reflection. Still wondering what it would have looked like otherwise. It's a learning process for me ;-)

Karen said...

I wish I could've taken a shot with the entire reflection visible, but I was standing on a bridge and if I backed up, I would've ended up in the stream. That huge rhododendron bush to the left also makes it difficult to get a good shot.

On the point-and-shoot camera (which is what I had back in October 2009), it has a setting for Vivid color. Makes the picture pop, doesn't it?

Carolina said...

Would have been a great video for 'the funniest' if you had backed up ;-)

I thought you had perhaps used some clever trick to make it partially black&white. It does make the picture pop!

BumbleVee said...

Wow....what a great shot..... beautiful.....