Friday, September 17, 2010

First Presbyterian Church. Greensboro, NC

Greensboro is only 202 years old and so we don’t have the type of historic architecture like that in Europe which has buildings dating back hundreds of years. I think we are somewhat jealous of that entire heritage. So we borrow and borrow heavily from those ancient buildings in England and France.

Here is one example in Greensboro; First Presbyterian Church on North Elm Street is modeled on the  cathedral in Albi, France. This picture is of the back of the church, which was built in 1928, and is highlighted by a rose window. There is a matching rose window at the front of the church. This type of architecture is called Norman Revival. I don’t know of any other example of this style in Greensboro.

First Presbyterian Church. Looking at the Rear

Rose Window at the Rear of the Sanctuary
I would have taken a picture of the front of the church, but it is obscured by huge old oak trees. Perhaps this winter when the leaves are gone.

I also found a picture of the Albi cathedral so that you can compare it to First Presbyterian. The cathedral was built between 1282 to 1480 and is considered the largest brick building in the world.

Cathedral in Albi, France

8 comments:

Dan said...

Wow, that rose window looks huge!

Val said...

What an interesting comparison. Your pictures of the cathedral, in particular the rose window, are excellent!

Isabelle said...

Goodness me, I can't see anyone building so ambitiously nowadays. It's spectacular.

Karen said...

Dan: My guess is the rose window is probably two stories tall. I cropped out the cars on the street so it is kind of hard to gain a perspective on it. I'm going to call to see if they will let me in the sanctuary to take a picture of it from the inside.

Val: Yep, we in America like to do it up bigger and (we think) better. But the church has a huge congregation of 3000+ and many are movers and shakers in the community. Our US Senator, Kay Hagan, has been a long-time member.

Isabelle: Well, I guess I need to take a picture of Westover Church here in Greensboro. It is a megachurch and towers over everything in the neighborhood.

moreidlethoughts said...

Hi, Karen. Thanks for stopping by at Idle Thoughts.To be honest, I was not sure which of several Karens you were. But the Greenboro tipped it!
I've just been wandering through your photos. Lovely!So now you're on my reader.

Karen said...

And, Dinah, you're on my reader, too. A little more convenient than wandering over from Vince's or Marie's

Carolina said...

Both buildings are very impressive. Perhaps they are meant to make us mere mortals look very insignificant. I'm not sure if I like the architecture of either. A bit too much red brick for my liking. But I do like the rose window.

frayedattheedge said...

Super photos of the church. I can't imagine such a large congregation - churches here tend to be somewhat smaller!