Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Wild Turkey

While I was walking around the flight cages where the Sun Conure, the Javan Pond Heron and other birds were kept, I was followed by this very large, somewhat familiar looking bird. He kept looking for food near my feet, but fortunately wasn't aggressive as the East African Crowned Crane since I had no food for him.


One of the keepers came by bearing food for some of the little birds and I asked her what type of bird that was (figuring it was some rare Eurasian exotic), she stopped and told me it was a male Wild Turkey. She explained that a couple of years ago, this male turkey and his mate showed up at the park as young poults and have stayed ever since. The female disappeared this past spring and the keeper thought that probably she was killed by coyotes who live in the area as these turkeys aren't kept caged or in enclosures as are the breeding waterfowl.

I'm sorry for the bad shot, but I could never catch him with his head up as he was too interested in finding food. So, I found this photo on the Internet:


Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends both near and far! I will be back on Sunday with another stunning sky photo.

5 comments:

frayedattheedge said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you! The wild turkey is a fabulous bird - very handsome indeed!

Geiger said...

Turkey? Thanksgiving? I'd say that bird was taking a chance!;-)

Carolina said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. And to the wild turkeys of course ;-)

Chantal said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who celebrate it!

Anyes said...

I hope your Thanksgiving was full of joy and laughter. I am thankful to come here and to enjoy your snapshots Karen. Thank you :-)