Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Little Brown Mushrooms


While I can't grow daylilies this summer, I certainly can grow mushrooms in the small garden.

Like my sparrows that are fondly called LBJ's by birders (otherwise known as little brown jobs), these are called LBM's by mycologists or little brown mushrooms. I think this is the species called "Japanese Parasol" but if someone can really identify it, please let me know.

What a weird, wild summer we're having this year. We've had thunderstorms that have dropped six inches of rain in three hours and days where the heat index has gone over 107F. The garden is showing the effects - the daylilies are gone and the leaves have turned yellow despite soaking on the weekend. I am keeping a close eye on the hostas and heucheras that have been planted, but they seem to be weathering the situation well as they are protected from the height of the sun.

4 comments:

Toffeeapple said...

Karen, the mushrooms might be LBMs but the colour around them is remarkable. I guess that Fall will be early for you this year because of all the heat you had?

Fingers crossed for your Hostas and Heucheras.

Dartford Warbler said...

A very autumnal photo today. I hope we all get some real summer before that happens!

No Japanese parasols in my big mushroom book, so they must be something not seen in Britain and Europe. Pretty LBMs anyway.

frayedattheedge said...

Just catching up after a busy week! Love the previous photo of your robin - much more colourful than ours, and super photo of the LBMs!!

Karen said...

Toffeeapple: The heat has really stressed the redbud which is why you see its leaves there in the garden.

DW: I wish autumnal - 95F tomorrow and this will probably stretch (albeit off and on) until September.

Anne: Care to trade for your little robin?