Monday, July 30, 2012

Patio Chipmunk


Outside of the birds who come to the feeders in my small garden, this is what passes for wildlife at my house.

The fun fact is that you won't find chipmunks anywhere in the world except for North America. No European chipmunks, no African chipmunks, no Asian chipmunks. And as annoying as these tiny little creatures are - they devour all my safflower seeds that I fill my bird feeders with since squirrels will not touch it - they are really cute.

I have a family of five who have created a little den under the edge of the patio. They all look the same except for one who just has one eye (not this particular chipmunk). Perhaps due to a run-in with the cat I catch periodically hanging around my bird feeders?

4 comments:

Rose L said...

I think they are adorable!

Scrappy Grams said...

Chipmunks are cute, but people around here complain about the damage they do.

Matt Bennett said...

Karen, my cat has caught one the last 2 years in a row. I'm not sure the first one survived, but this year I intervened in enough time to save it. They're fun to watch! -MB

Karen said...

Rose L - They are really cute until they eat up all my expensive safflower bird seed ($16 per 10 lbs!).

SG - They can be destructive in the garden with their hole digging.

Matt - My cats are strictly indoors, but they certainly perk up and press their noses against the sliding glass door when the chipmunks are on the patio tormenting them.