Monday, July 16, 2012

American Robin


When it gets too hot and humid to go outside to take a snapshot, I amuse myself by shooting through the sliding glass door at the various flora and fauna in my small garden.

A regular visitor to the bird bath (although not the bird feeders) is the American Robin. The early immigrants to America saw this bird's red breast and named it after the Robin that they knew in Europe although these two birds are not related at all. This is a large member of the Thrush family while the European Robin is a member of the Old World Flycatchers.

There are times in the winter that I will look out at the huge white oak in the common area behind the house and see the limbs full of robins who have decided to hang out here in Greensboro than migrate further south to Florida or Mexico.

3 comments:

Toffeeapple said...

You have just answered a query for me, I wondered if they belonged to the Thrush family; they are so different from our little round Robins.

Karen said...

Toffeeapple: I love your little Robin there in the UK. It's such a sweet little bird.

Toffeeapple said...

I think we all love them too, they are fierce, territorial creatures but they like also, to be close to humans and can sometimes be tempted to perch upon hands.